Thursday, June 16, 2011

First Drop Day of the Season!

  Today was our first harvest day here at the Nitty Gritty!!!  Three varieties of radishes:  D'Vavignon, Crunchy Royale, & Rover, Bok Choy and a small bundle of scallions were the veggies that comprised the boxes for each share holder.  Picking the veggies felt empowering.  Knowing we are providing good, nutritious, sustainably grown, organic produce for individuals, families, and ourselves felt so right.

  I drove to the heart of the city to "woman" a drop site at the Homestead Pickin' Parlor off of Penn Ave and 66th Street.  I had seven shares with me to be picked up, only six came.

  Finished my third book of the summer, "It's a Long Road to a Tomato," over Mutter Paneer Masala and Naan, as I treated myself to some local cuisine.  It was a small family run restaurant-oh how I love to support local, small family owned businesses!  Just feels right.

  Had a really lovely evening chat with Karla, one of the other interns.  She is a good one and already someone that I know who will keep me laughing and sane over the summer.  Off to slumber and dream land.  Napta buna.

1 comment:

  1. Eeeek! Suz, I love this. It's amazing to read about your daily ventures there on the farm! Sounds like a good balance of work and play, I hope you feel healthy and energized knowing all the good grub your helping provide, meanwhile learning new things. So excited for yaaaa! Basil is a peach and she purrs for you.

    ReplyDelete