Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Making Mozzarella

It's rainy today.  Good thing.  I've been banned to the kitchen today!!  Goat Cheese Mozzarella (yes this is a proper noun!) and Formage Blanc are on the menu for making, and more than likely making Ricotta from the Mozarella whey.  Robin is my teacher for this new venture. 

I milked Mezzo again this morning.  Getting better, more fluid in my finger movements.  It's kinda like playing a trumpet trill andante on repeat.  I'm using the milk from Mezzo, Stormy & Nimbis (Mamba's milk tastes a little funky, so her's is set aside for Oliver, one of our kid goats) to create the soon to be cheesy goodness. 

I am about 2 hours into the cheese making. I just stirred the Mozzarella by hand to brake up the curd.  Stir every 15 minutes and I will spare you the rest of the recipe considering it's about 3 pages in length.  The Formage Blanc is now in it's second hour of twelve calmly sitting, wrapped in Robin's fleece in a 4 gallon soup pot.  It will be a full day of cheese intensive labor!

No comments:

Post a Comment